The Birch Bay Marathon

Monday, January 19, 2009

Back in the Saddle

It's great to be back running and racing again. Today marked my return to the streets of Bend after what can only be described as a disasterous showing at the 2008 Turkey Trot. I knew going into the race that I might be the favorite since Bend's real heavy hitters, particularly, Jeff Caba who vanquished me at the previously mentioned event, would be out of town and unable to compete.
As the freezing runners waited for the start, I noticed that Michael Dennis, a friend of Cabas and fellow PA was nudging closer and closer to me. Michael is normally a friendly fellow so I thought nothing of it at the time. As the race began, I quickly realized that news of my physical tactics must have gotten out around town, and today would be payback. You see, in the Turkey Trot, I had employed some less-than-fair sportmanship directed towards Mr. Caba. Unknowingly, I also clotheslined an innocent Sean Meissner in the midst of dishing out these shananigans. In a small town like Bend, word travels fast. Micael Dennis was clearly on a mission to try to exact some revenge. As I spurted off the line he quickly chased me down and grabbed on, trying to wrestle me to the ground. I was able to fight him off once, but he grabbed me again. finally, the second time I broke free, I bolted quickly to a 10 meter lead in order to run clear of his interference.
At that point, with the race decided, I was able to coast in to the finish of the 3 miler in 15:38. A disappointed Dennis settled for second slightly over a minute back. I heard him mumble as he crossed the line, "I'll get you next time Martin!" Anyway, next time should be interesting indeed as Dennis will be joined perhaps by Mr. Caba in a 2 on 1 tag team event. Oh, and there is another fast guy in town that might show up as well. He ran 10 miles farther than I did this morning at a pace that was 20 seconds per mile faster, ouch!

5 comments:

Ryan Altman said...

Is the other fast guy Max?

Andy Martin said...

That would be a pretty good guess.

saschasdad said...

You better watch your back next time...it may just be 3 on 1.

MikeD said...

I'll get you next time, my pretty. I'll take down that other "fast" guy too.

Andy Martin said...

Ahhhhh! Footzone better beef up the security for Winter Race Series #2. I'm getting scared!!!!